Still United



"Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things."
Colossians 3:2

As I sit in my living room at 4:00 in the morning contemplating the events of the last several hours, I feel peace. Many of my friends will question how that can be. My point is not to share my political beliefs either, those don't matter. My hope is not in things of this world, my hope is not in a political candidate. I have hope and trust in someone far greater than that. Y'all, God is in control, He is sovereign. This election was already in His hands, as is every election to come and every election that has come. If you have a personal relationship with God, this pettiness on social media and complaining needs to stop. Regardless of who won we need to be in prayer for our leadership. Can you imagine the change that could be affected in your community if you were as passionate for Christ as you are for a political party?

I see believers weeping over this election. Are you weeping over Colorado? While we were busy, distracted by other things, Colorado approved a bill legalizing assisted suicide.

 I see friends posting on social media that they would rather die than be in a country under a specific political party.  That is not a matter to joke about, and if it is not a joke,  oh my friend, please listen. You have been created, knit together in your mother's womb for a purpose (Psalm 139:13). You are loved by the one who created the stars, the oceans, the mountains, and every living thing. He loves you and is calling you to know Him! The one who created EVERYTHING made YOU and LOVES YOU!

I see friends name calling and berating supporters of candidates. Really? We are a community. Long after this election fades we must go to class together, work together, build our community together. Why are we buying into this division? I see some of the very people who called for us to be unified before the election throwing a tantrum over social media because of the results. We must still be in unity!

We are much stronger together and there is an Enemy who wants to distract you with this division. The other side of the political aisle is NOT your enemy. "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms," Ephesians 6:12. When it refers to authorities here, it is not referring to Donald Trump, the Supreme Court, or our Congress, it is referring to the UNSEEN. We have an enemy who wants to steal, kill, and destroy (John 10:10). He wants to steal our unity, our joy, our focus and passion, he wants you to fail, he wants to destroy you. This is not meant to cause anxiety, we already have victory over him (1 Corinthians 15:57)! But let us not give up this battle because the war has already been won!

One last encouragement, some may recognize this verse from a popular Casting Crowns song. "I lift my eyes to the mountains - where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD the Maker of heaven and earth," Psalm 121:1-2. Look to God and be on your knees in prayer for this nation and for each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shakeable Hips and Unshakeable Truths

Being the Light

Murphy's Law