If We're Honest



"Bring your brokenness, and I'll bring mine, 'cause love can heal what hurt divides, and mercy's waiting on the other side, if we're honest."
-Francesca Battistelli


I drive all the time. I made a poor life choice when I decided to commute to the University of Georgia this semester, I admit it. However, one of my favorite parts of the day is my early morning commute to school. I watch the sun rise over the mountains of Georgia, and listen to Nancy Leigh Demoss (Wolgemuth), other podcasts, and music. This gives me the time I need away from the world, to think. Now, that can be a dangerous thing for me, because I am one of those people who loves to overthink and overanalyze. Then, a beautiful song or words of truth remind me who I belong to and all that really matters.

About a week ago, I had one of those moments. I was feeling overwhelmed with life, with the uncertainty of the future. Then, a lot like a sucker punch, three songs reminded me of the beauty of and desperate need we each feel for community. There are several thoughts each of these songs left me with that I would like to share.

Community thrives on honesty. How can you truly have a relationship -- family, friend, or otherwise - if you aren’t walking through life with them? We all have baggage, all have things going on behind the scenes, that no one else knows about. But what if we were honest? What if we went to others when we hit rock bottom? What if, instead of being stuck in our own little world of problems, we looked up and saw each other, actually saw each other? What if, instead of judging others, spreading rumors, and looking down on them, we stopped and talked to them? What if we listened to their story, invested in the lives of those around us?

Investing is not a superficial activity. It is not a virtual relationship, it is not liking a post on social media. Social Media is the devil’s playground. I’m kinda kidding but not really. The hurt I have watched friends and family go through over a poorly planned post is heart breaking. No, investing in another person is having real talk. Getting into the nitty gritty and walking through life. It’s the skinned knees of life: it’s the loss of a family member, the break up, the wedding, the new baby. It’s being there for someone other than yourself, learning to be slow to anger, slow to speak, and quick to hear. Investing means having genuine love for another person born out of the love we experience in Christ.

However, we are imperfect people. We will fail each other. We will mess up. I fail my friends, my family, my coworkers. So what do we do when the people we count on most fail us? We can’t experience community until we have a genuine relationship with Christ. Casting Crowns song “Just Be Held” has me in tears every time I hear it. When troubles threaten to overwhelm, the key is to remember, “Your world is not falling apart, it’s falling into place. He’s on the throne stop holding on, and just be held.” How freeing is that thought? We have a special relationship with our God, our Heavenly Father. He will never abandon you, He is the one we must learn to rely on. You cannot and will not ever experience the genuine community He desires for you without a personal relationship with him.

As the holiday season is upon us (where did this year go..?), try a little honesty. Stop holding things in, refuse to allow bitterness control you, and reach out to those around you. If you are harboring hurt, take the time to share it with someone you trust. If you see someone hurting around you, reach out to them. But always remember who your rock is. Don’t allow a temporary crutch to take the place of the One who can truly heal you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shakeable Hips and Unshakeable Truths

Being the Light

Murphy's Law