Crossroads


I realize that while I have had this blog for about a year now, I have never taken the time to explain the title, "Crossroads." My goal is to tackle the tough questions and issues we face as Christians. I am not trying to say that my opinions are the right ones, just that I've done my research and would encourage you to do the same. I encourage you to consider multiple sources, multiple points of view, and form your own conclusions, not just assume those of the individuals around you, even your teachers or parents. With that said, my heart is burdened for my country as we face several crossroads.

  There are several "crossroads" throughout Athens. If you've ever been downtown, you know what a truly sanctifying experience it can be trying to navigate. There are roads that suddenly become one way, or a stop light with more options than there should be (Thomas, Oconee, and Broad, I'm talking about you sweet friend of mine). You get stuck at the light for five years when you are already late for class/work/church. But then there's that philosophical epiphany, that glorious moment when tangible reality clicks with the abstract. You know, life can be a lot like crossroads, where you as an individual, a community, or even a nation, and there are choices to make that will impact the future.

  Right now, our country is smack in the middle of a crossroads, on multiple fronts. We face racial tension, discourse over immigration, questions on gender and sexual orientation, and an overall sense of a loss of direction. At risk of sounding cliché, we really do need Jesus, he is the answer to everything. But what does that look like? How can we be the salt of the earth and place our light in the window rather than hiding it beneath a table?

 We can learn powerful lessons by taking heed from the choices of others.  For example, on the subject of racial tension, we can look to South Africa. Anybody who has spent enough time with me knows that I have an obsession with it. I am in love with the language, the culture, and the people. So much to the point that I took my best friend on an hour road trip to Atlanta to find a store that sells South African food. But my bias aside, there is so much to learn from this beautiful nation.

  A couple of months ago, I splurged and purchased a movie based on Mandela's own autobiography, Long Walk to Freedom. In his life and the struggles his beloved country faced, I saw a reflection of our own nation. Just as they battled for equality and discovered what freedom means and how it applies to every person, regardless of color, we are caught in the middle of the same war. We think South Africa and we think backwards and war torn. But are they really, and are we any different? We have war in our streets, not the way it is traditionally thought of, but there is a war for the souls of our youth, and there is a division in our nation.

  One of the factors that played into the peace experienced under Mandela was his willingness to forgive. While he initially was considered a terrorist, look it up if you don't believe me, after spending 27 years in prison, he chose the peaceful path to reconciliation once he gained power in South Africa.  Just as Mandela and his nation had to choose between violence and peace, regardless of personal opinion on whether they chose correctly, we will have the same choice.

  Over the course of the next several months, I would love to tackle more current events and welcome any question/suggestions. Recently, my posts have revolved around dating and relationships, but would like to take a different direction as my senior year of college (wait when did this happen..?) and a new season of life begins. It's time to question our culture, our faith, and ourselves, and discover the truth and beauty of our God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shakeable Hips and Unshakeable Truths

Being the Light

Murphy's Law